Monday, April 26, 2010

Neptune Day

During our week at sea between India and Mauritius, we crossed the equator for the first time! March 20 was Neptune Day – the traditional sailors’ celebration to commemorate the event. We were woken up very early in the morning to the sounds of beating drums, whistles and loud celebration. Over the intercom we were told to put on our bathing suits and head straight to deck 7, the pool deck. There, we were all told the history of Neptune Day; it was an old tradition of merchant sailors whenever they crossed the equator to be covered in chum and to shave their head. One by one, we all entered the pool, were doused with green fish guts, instructed to kiss a giant dead fish and then knighted by “King Neptune,” Professor Gogniant, our Global Studies professor. After that, kids starting lining up to shave their heads. I couldn’t believe how many people decided to do it! Don’t worry, I didn’t.

Neptune Day was the embodiment of everything that I love about this trip. The ocean that day was the most beautiful of the entire voyage. When Mckenzie and I woke up that morning, we looked out the window to a completely flat, blue ocean. It was like we were floating on a giant lake – not the Indian Ocean. It looked like royal blue glass – so calm and gorgeous, the pictures that I took can’t do it justice.

We didn’t have class and so we were all able to relax and enjoy the beauty of the day. We later had another great cookout on deck 7 and watched the sunset. I saw the green flash as the sun entered the ocean for the first time! (I always thought that was a myth, but it really does happen)

Later that night, there was a ship wide talent show. We all crammed in the Union to listen to so many talented people sing, play instruments and read poetry. I was blown away by all the talented people that I am living among!

Every day I find myself realizing that this trip is dwindling day by day. It makes me sad and anxious. I am nervous I’m not doing everything to the fullest potential – I want to get the maximum I can out of this trip. But then I remember days like Neptune Day and I realize that I am. I prepared for this semester for nearly a year and will look back on this semester for the rest of my life. But the time actually living this semester is so limited – every day is a gift that I cherish, including the day that I ventured across the equator covered in fish guts.

No comments:

Post a Comment